Our History...

The history of the First United Methodist Church of Huntsville, Alabama, began less than 25 years after the organization of Methodism in America. In 1805, pioneers seeking land began to migrate into the Tennessee Valley. With them, an itinerant Methodist preacher from South Carolina, John Ford, led one of the first large group of settlers.
When the Western Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church met at Liberty Hill, Tennessee, on October 8, 1808, it established the Flint Circuit and appointed James Gwinn as circuit rider for circuit extending approximately from McMinnville, Tennessee, to Chickasaw (Hobbs) island. The society at Hunt’s Spring thus was in existence two months before Madison County was created in December.
One of the first acts of the 1819 Alabama legislature in the new state was to empower religious societies to hold real estate. In the following summer, the trustees of the 175 member Methodist Episcopal Church received a grant of land and by 1821 built a church.
By 1822, the new church was overseeing the conference’s mission school for Indians
By 1830, the little frame church in the western part of town seemed inadequate, so on March 7, 1832, on the present site, “the most commodious and most beautiful {church} in Huntsville,” was built.